In life there are times where we’re just not sure about which direction to go or what decision to make.
Here are 10 questions that will help give you clarity:
- What are your main areas of interest / thoughts around this particular activity or opportunity?
- Has there been, or is there any interest in doing something like this in the past? (If yes, what made you either proceed or stop in the past? What, if any, lessons did you learn?)
- Create two lists on a piece of paper. On one side write the “pros” or positives and on the other side write “cons” or negatives of doing this now? (Be open minded, think big, think of everything you can and include it – you can evaluate later whether they are feasible – this list is a mind list, not a ‘to do’ list)
- What do you want to achieve by doing this activity, by taking this opportunity now?
- How will you know if you’ve achieved this? (What will be different? What will you see, hear, feel differently in the future compared to now?)
- What will happen if it’s a great success?
- What will happen if it fails?
- What won’t happen if it is a great success?
- What won’t happen if it fails?
- List all other resources you need or have available that will help you with this decision? (Think about past experiences, jobs, hobbies, school, community projects, friends who have done similar things, mentors, teachers, more experienced people in the field?).
There are pros and cons to any situation so have a think about these questions and notice how you’re thinking about this activity or opportunity once you’ve answered these 10 questions.
By taking a step back and considering these questions you will have delved into your desires, fears, motivations and blockages.
And if you are still unsure after this exercise, speak to a trusted friend or advisor or engage a
coach to help you unlock what’s holding you back from making a decision.